Date:      Fri, 07 Nov 1997 13:57:18 -0500
From:      "Gary T. Corcoran" <garycorc@idt.net>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        "Brian N. Handy" <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disk drives

Nate Williams wrote:

> > Question for the class...is it possible to plug two disk drives into your
> > typical laptop at the same time?  (In particular the TP560.)  I need to
> > build another drive for a guy, but I'd like to just plug it into the
> > innards of my thinkpad, copy the salient bits over and then swap it into
> > his machine.  It wouldn't even have to *fit* inside the case for this.
> > Seems like a stretch, but sure would be nice...
>
> If you get it working, let me know.  We couldn't find a way to do it
> earlier this week, and did it from scratch (using Windows in our case,
> but we couldn't even get two 'drives' hooked up at the same time.  I
> suspect with dump/restore it would have worked, but I still would have
> had to go 'install' the stuff and partition the disk before-hand.

I remember seeing _somebody_  (sorry, can't recall who, though it might
have been Simple Technology ??) selling a combo of a new laptop hard
drive and a PCMCIA card - you plug it in, run the provided (Windows ;-)
software to do a 'drive copy', and then install your new drive.
(And they mentioned you could then hook up your old drive as an external
 second drive if you wanted)

Check your friendly computer sellers...

Gary