Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 00:25:22 -0600
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dig(1) Q

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 10:05:28PM -0800, Crist J. Clark wrote:
# On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 11:48:30PM -0600, Steve Price wrote:
# > I'm utterly confused at the output I've been getting from dig(1).
# > Can anyone out there explain why the first time I run dig I get
# > one answer and yet seconds later I get another?
#
# Ask the servers you are querying. dig(1) is just telling you whatever
# they send back.

I have and they both (the primary and secondary DNS servers for this
domain) give me the first answer which is the correct one.  I have
accounts on all of the boxes in question and when I dig(1) this domain
on those boxes I get the answer I expect no matter how many times I try
it.

# What I believe we have here is the differences between what you see
# when you are getting a reply from the remote server and when you are
# getting from the cached reply from the local server. Note,
#
# > steve@bonsai(~)$ dig dogbark.com
[snip]
# > ;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 3
#                ^^
# This is an authoritarive response.

Yes and this is the one I'd expect to get every time.

# > steve@bonsai(~)$ dig dogbark.com
[snip]
# > ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2
#
# This is not. It is cached.

Why wouldn't my local DNS server cache the correct result instead of
a clearly bogus one after having received the correct one?

-steve