Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 2003 11:40:25 -0500
From:      "Scott I. Remick" <scott@sremick.net>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   jdk-1.4.1 plugin & Yahoo Chat

[hmm somehow didn't get this into the right list, trying again]

Well, now that the plugin is working w/ 1.4.1 (w/ p4) I decided to give it
a whirl. I upgraded the plugin Mozilla Firebird uses by changing the
symbolic link /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins/libjavaplugin_oji to link to
/usr/local/jdk1.4.1/jre/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so instead.
Sure enough, about:plugins showed 1.4.1 now instead of 1.3.1. So the first
place I decided to try was Yahoo Chat since I had the most quirks with it
and 1.3.1.

Right away, I start noticing new problems. I tried clicking on the black
box to choose a font color, and Firebird crashed. Then I tried
double-clicking on a name to get more info, and Firebird crashed again.
Both these actions normally pop up a new small window on top of the chat
session, so it seems like anything on Yahoo Chat that opens a new java box
crashes Firebird.

My other problem is, I can't seem to switch back to 1.3.1! I renamed
libjavaplugin_oji.so to libjavaplugin_oji.so.14 and created a new
libjavaplugin_oji.so link to point back to 131's ns600/libjavaplugin_oji
but even closing and restarting Firebird, about:plugins still shows 1.4.1.
Epiphany does the same thing. How to I switch back?

Glad to see the progress though. :)