Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 1999 11:22:17 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Distributions: Leveling the playing field

> In that case, there's a problem in that the standards are not cut
> and dried and objective. This creates a big risk for anyone who

Things, as they say, are tough all over.  I can live with this one and
so can you.

> Therefore, it does not seem to me that it is a good idea to discourage
> add-ons such as a better installer, so long as those improvements
> are clearly labeled as such and the original is included.

Nobody is discouraging any such thing, you simply can't go write a new
one and then release it as part of "FreeBSD" and confuse the hell out
of everybody.  Do what I and Walnut Creek CDROM did instead and simply
contribute it to the project and get it into the source tree, then
it's no longer a divergent effort.  Tada, "problem" solved.

> Again, it's odd that you would deny use of the trademark due to the
> replacement of an installer which is "in need of death" with one
> that makes FreeBSD easier to use.

Not odd at all, and if you think so then you clearly have yet to grasp
the essential point.  Since I've also made this point repeatedly,
there's really nothing more I can do here. :)

- Joradn