Date:      Tue, 14 Jan 1997 13:18:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@revelstone.jvm.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Setting maximum number of files

I'm running into a problem running an Apache server under 2.1.5, it
appears that I'm running into a file limit.  I've rebuilt the kernel once
before, upping maxusers,  CHILD_MAX, and OPEN_MAX to 256 each.  If I do a
limit under the root shell, I get

descriptors     256

which I presume means file descriptors.  If I invoke the server, it dies
with (I beleive) a signal 11.  If I remove a virtual host, which drops
the number of files opened, it runs fine.

Now, if I enter "limit descriptor unlimited" I get a much larger number
from the limits command, 6-8000.  However, the server still won't run.

a)  Am I really seeing a file descriptor problem?  There are no messages
logged, which I beleive I got before.

b)  Why does changing the limit have no effect?

c)  How can I invoke the server to have maximum limits without actually
typing it?  Would it be as simple as a limit command in rc.local (which
actually starts the server)?  Or do I need to wrap the command in a shell
script that uses csh or tcsh?

d) Is there a limit to the size of maxusers, etc?  Can I, for example,
use 2048 for these values?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this perplexing and irritating
problem.

Cliff