Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2000 14:13:48 -0000
From:      "Steven" <steven@trance.org>
To:        <cjclark@alum.mit.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: ICMP redirect packets

> > I have a query to do with icmp redirect packets. I'm not
> entirely sure what
> > they are, but my machine is sending a lot of them over the
> network and I am
> > not sure if it is meant to be doing! :-)
>
> Are you running routed(8)? Turn it off. You don't need it.

not that i can see (it does not appear in ps -ax and there is no option set
in my kernel config file). I added the following to my kernel config before
the last recompile, as specified in a natd help document i read:

options IPFIREWALL
options IPDIVERT
options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100
options TCP_DROP_SYNFIN
options TCP_RESTRICT_RST
options ICMP_BANDLIM

and my rc.conf:

gateway_enable="YES"
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_script="/etc/rc.firewall"
firewall_type="open"
firewall_quiet="NO"
natd_enable="YES"
natd_flags="-f /etc/natd.conf"
natd_interface="rl1"
natd_program="/sbin/natd"

my ipfw rules are a bit weird, but they work:

00050 176871 23548190 divert 8668 ip from any to any via rl1
00100      0        0 allow ip from any to any via lo0
00200      0        0 deny ip from any to 127.0.0.0/8
65000 184797 25040370 allow ip from any to any
65535     14     1790 deny ip from any to any

can you see anything obvious from this? (the network card for my bedroom LAN
is rl0, the campus LAN card is rl1).

Thanks for your help

Steven