Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 98 10:23:07 MET
From:      Flemming Jacobsen <fj@login.dknet.dk>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Just purchased a bt848 based "Turbo TV" card.

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> They're selling for $99 at Fry's Electronics in Palo Alto, CA.
> so I deemed it prudent to pick one up so that we could test it.
>
> Perhaps the unit I got is merely defective, but I'm totally unable to
> get it to see output from my VCR, set to broadcast on channel 3.
> Under fxtv I at least get what looks like noise, under Win95 I just
> get a solid blue screen and no indication that the unit is receiving
> any signal.  I've also tested the cable, of course, and my TV has no
> problem receiving the VCR's signal on channel 3 when I plug it in over
> there.  Using my little CCD video camera, I'm also able to get a
> picture just fine on the video input so the card's not totally
> dysfunctional, it just doesn't seem to want to "tune in"

Well, the reason for the low price should be obvious now :-)

If it doesn't work with Windoze, I'd suggest that you get a replacement
based on the argument that the tuner is dead.
If the new card doesn't work either, then it's probably because the
hardware and the Windoze drivers are out of sync. In this case I'll
suggest that you figure-out the type of tuner the card uses - maybe it's
easy to get the FreeBSD drivers talking to it.

options	"OVERRIDE_TUNER=xxxx"
Should be able to get you going in case the tuner is known allready, but
probed wrong.

> Also, how are people hooking up the audio on their cards?  On this
> one, at least, the supplied cables are for Macintosh only and I'm
> getting the sneaking suspicion that one uses the audio output jack to
> loop the signal back into one's audio card line-in jack - is that what
> fxtv expects to happen?

My card works by looping the autio-out jack on the TV card into line-in
on my Soundblaster (the TV card even came with a 10cm cord for this).
Fxtv seems work quite fine with this setup.

	Hyg'
	Flemming

--
Flemming Jacobsen            It'll probably say something like "Does not
                             compute" or "Inoperative parameters". That's