Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2002 22:16:48 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1014437808.886d5c@mired.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sis 7012 sound support?

Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org> types:
> Anyone have any luck getting the Sis 7012 sound chipset (ac97)
> working?  I can provide tester feedback if anyone has
> anything.

Yeah, I have it working with a patched version of the ich driver.  It
doesn't record worth using, though, so I've disabled it. I filed a PR
with patches, and you can get them with this command:

fetch -o ichp "http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=35012&f=raw"

then edit ichp to delete either the -current or -stable patches. The
ich driver in -stable doesn't record, and the differences between the
two patches is mostly adding the changes for recording -current to
-stable. If you don't want that - and don't want to add extra code
from -current - you can use the patches for -current on -stable, but
will have to apply one of the patches by hand. I've had at least one
report of that working.

The one thing I'm watching for is if it reports DMA overruns. I
believe the newpcm architecture avoids the situation that can cause
that on the SiS chips, but I'm not positive. If it happens, I've got a
fix.

	<mike