Date:      Sun, 15 Oct 2000 22:30:42 -0700
From:      "Richard Shea" <rshea@my-deja.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   rc.firewall vs hosts.allow ?

Hi - I have a FreeBSD machine which acts as a firewall and to which I now want to allow a limited amount of ftp access. The firewall rules at the moment stop any incoming FTP. In the future I want users from a small set of known domains to be able to get on and leave files. BTW FWIW this would not be anonymous ftp.

I thought about adding rules to rc.firewall to specifically allow incoming ftp from those domains but then I thought about letting through all incoming ftp and using hosts.allow to deny access to all but the 'good' domains.

Is this just a question of taste or are there some issues here I haven't noticed ? Is there a 'right' way - maybe totally different from those I've mentioned.

In some ways I like the idea of keeping the firewall rules simple albeit (in this case) considerably relaxed.

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

regard

richard shea.