Date:      Fri, 9 Oct 1998 08:40:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        alk@pobox.com
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sybase/uname: mystery resolved

On Fri, 9 Oct 1998, Tony Kimball wrote:

> Quoth John Fieber on Thu, 8 October:
> : The linux_lib-2.4 port won't cut it, you need a ld-linux.so.2 and
> : a newer libc (at least, I have not nailed down exactly what is
> : needed).
>
> I needed a newer bash to get as far as I did.

I discovered that the bash in linux_lib-2.4 falls if you have a
both an (v5) and a new (v6) libc in /compat/linux/lib...ldd shows
it being linked to both versions....

> ---quote
> Running task: create the master device.
> Building the master device
>
> .execl() returned: operating system error.
> ---unquote
>
> The dots seem to be a forked copy of sybinit spinning until I hit
> <enter>.  Spinning, I assume, because execl() failed.
> Did you see this?  How did you overcome it, if so?

I can't say I encountered it.  At that point in the process,
sybinit runs the buildmaster program which appears to be failing
for some reason.  Try doing a ktrace or truss and see if you can
figure out why/how execl() is failing.

-john