Date:      Tue, 5 Aug 1997 15:41:45 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of USB, TX chipset, PIIX3, etc.

On Tue, 5 Aug 1997 sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:

> > Any news on the following high-demand technologies?
> >
> > Universal Serial Bus (USB)
> > 	http://www.usb.org (503)264-0590
> > 	Modular, _Powered_ I/O w/ neato hubs
> > 	12Mbit/sec, up to 127 devices
>
> Just where did you see this high demand for USB? I sure haven't noticed
> it.

It has very good potential. You can put several different types of
devices on it, including but not limited to: keyboards, mice, modems,
cameras, network cards, cd-roms, DATs, ZIP/Jaz/SyQuest, scanners,
printers, etc.

It auto-detects the presence of devices with no need to reboot. Providing
power allows for MUCH nicer cabling. With the powers that be* supporting
USB, it would be foolish to show up late to the party.

Even without broad peripheral support, consumer demand is high. It is our
business to fill demands for hardware, and I can tell you lots of
people are very interested.

Kevin

* From the FAQ:

Who created USB anyway?
        USB was developed by a group of seven companies that saw a
	need for an interconnect to enable the growth of the
        blossoming Computer Telephony Integration Industry.
	The seven promoters of the USB definition are; Compaq, Digital
        Equipment Corp, IBM PC Co., Intel, Microsoft, NEC
	and Northern Telecom.