Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 1997 02:37:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dmitry Kohmanyuk <dk@dog.farm.org>
To:        arg@arg1.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gordon)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lpr/lpd and HP networked printers

In article <Pine.BSF.3.91.970923123240.210B-100000@server.arg.sj.co.uk> you wrote:
> Maybe I didn't make this clear: having looked at the protocol, I find I
> can suppress the banner page when printing from a FreeBSD machine too, so
> long as I use "lpr -h".  The printer is obeying the "L" command code in
> the print job control file (both the HP and Intel devices do so).

> The problem is that with hundreds of users, printing via many different
> methods (manual lpr, from netscape, via Samba, via PC-NFS etc.) getting
> the "-h" into all the applicable config files/user's brains is impractical.
> If lpd is printing locally to a printer, it observes the "sh" capability
> and overrides the "L" command.  However, if it is printing to a remote
> printer, it just transfers the control file unchanged and "sh" has
> no affect whatever.

force them all to print to a proxy lpd on a Unix host.
Patch the lpd on this host, add new capability (network-sh),
and add it to definition of this printer.

You get side advantages:  accounting, possible filtering/quotas,
and virtual printer (imagine adding new printer and asking everybody
to change).

Meanwhile, ask HP to give you an upgrade that works... ;-)

--
"Books: You can't grep dead trees."   -- Dion Favors(?)