Date:      Mon, 30 Nov 2009 09:22:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      James Phillips <anti_spam256@yahoo.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Phoronix Benchmarks: Waht's wrong with FreeBSD 8.0?

> Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 20:07:15 +1100
> Subject: Re: Phoronix Benchmarks: Waht's wrong with FreeBSD
> 8.0?
> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>
> I didn't know these were released already, but I had a
> look. I was
> disappointed with the results.
>
> If anyone wants to look here is the link:
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=freebsd8_benchmarks&num=1
>
> Linux's ext4 seems to leave UFS and ZFS well behind in a
> number of
> benchmarks.

My first thought is that Ext4 may be "cheating" on the benchmarks. The performance regressions should probably be concerning though.

Ext4 data loss; explanations and workarounds
http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Ext4-data-loss-explanations-and-workarounds-740671.html

Ext4 data loss Bug #317781 (Fix released)
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/317781

http://ca.toolbar.yahoo.com.