Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2002 08:48:55 +0000
From:      "Rhys John" <elite_bizkit@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   mplayer keeps screwing my system :(

First off id like to say that mplayer has really started to annoy me! I have
used it 3 times and each time it has screwerd my system. The problem is that
for some reason once I have run it, I close it and it throws up all these
errors resulting in my sound card no longer working for any multimedia
application. For example when I try and play a song with xmms I get the
following message:

Couldn't Open Aduio

Please check that:

1. You have the correct output plugin selected
2. No other programs is blocking the soundcard
3. Your soundcard is configured properly

Now I know for a fact that xmms works fine on my system, because it has
always worked until I ran mplayer for the first time. Each time Ive used
mplayer I have had to rebuild my system to get sound back!! Yes I know this
is a bit extreme but I couldnt find anywhere that had information about this
problem, this is why im mailing this list because there must be a way round
this other than rebuilding my system. I would be greatful for any help.

- BiZKiT