Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 1996 18:02:48 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
To:        mitayai@nightmare.dreaming.org (Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: Microfoft Exchange -> UNIX (FreeBSD-2.1.5)

Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe writes:

> hello!
>
> I was wondering if there was a way to get MS Exchange to use a UNIX box as the mail host. Is there a built-in way for MS Mail to query a UNIX box with Microsoft Networks? I use the Samba server on my FreeBSD-2.1.5 UNIX firewall/gateway for everything else like file and print sharing, if that helps any. As an alternative, is there a freeware/public domain/shareware/cheap SMTP client for Windows 95? I could use a POP mail program, i know, but for long-winded reasons the former best suits my needs.
>
> If there is anything at all you can mention, even docs to look at, i'd much appreciate it.

Sorry, I don't know.  The reason I'm replying to this message is to
suggest that you avoid using mailers that mail in non-standard
formats.  I see this message was written with Microsoft Exchange (how
did you get it to the real world?), and your first paragraph came out
as a single line with 500 characters.  This happens very frequently
with Microsoft mailers, and like badly transmitted faxes, it makes the
sender look stupid without him necessarily recognizing the fact.

This may be a configuration problem, but as I said, it happens often
enough.  These problems don't seem to happen with UNIX mailers.

Greg