Date:      Tue, 23 May 2006 04:32:33 -0700
From:      "Chris H." <fbsd@1command.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Security Survey

This message is in MIME format and has been PGP signed.

--=_4vbp802f6xc

Quoting Ion-Mihai IOnut Tetcu <itetcu@freebsd.org>:

> On Mon, 22 May 2006 11:40:16 +0200
> Marian Hettwer <MH@kernel32.de> wrote:
>
>> > ports tree in the process, the end result is a bit more undefined.  One
>> > thing that I wish for is that the ports tree would branch for releases,
>> > and that those branches would get security updates.  I know that this
>> > would involve an exponentially larger amount of effort from the ports
>> > team, and I don't fault them for not doing it.  Still, it would be nice
>> > to have.
>>
>> I have to agree on that statement. I would love to see branched ports.
>> This can get very important on servers, were you don't want to have
>> major upgrades, but only security updates.
>> I guess it's a question of manpower, hm?
>
> With the maintainers/commiters/physical_resources we have now this is
> impossible.
> Take a look at pav@'s PR stats page: http://www.oook.cz/bsd/prstats/
> There are ~1000 new ports PRs per month. The PT Team has managed to
> close about the same number per month (fewer during the freeze, of
> course).
> Currently there are 551 open PRs. 238 in feedback state, etc.
>
>> Would a survey help? As in ask the ports team and FreeBSD
>> administrators? Maybe some will start to become port maintainer too,
>> just to support the increased work on ports due to branching them...
>> I would :)
>
> There are ~4300 unmaintained ports. Maybe you could start maintaining
> some of them _now_ ?

This brings up a point I have been wanting to bring up for over a mos.;
I adopted an "orphaned" port (contacted the owner, whom then relenquished
ownership to me.). But found it _more_ than difficult to discover how
to inform the fBSD port(s) system of it's new, *un*orphaned status.
I read through the online doc's about it. But got dizzy with the
circularness of it. Searching led to no _difinative_ answer(s) either.
Is it still send pr just to update it's status? Couldn't there be an
online form to change ownership/ stewardship? I *can* comprehend the
send pr system. I simply can't understand how to change/ update
ownership/ stewardship. Perhaps this is why so many of the orphaned
ports remain in this state.

--Chris H.

--
Shameless self-promotion follows...
... or does it?

FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE-p12 (SMP - 900x2) Tue Mar 7 19:37:23 PST 2006

--=_4vbp802f6xc

--=_4vbp802f6xc--