Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 2003 18:41:27 +0100
From:      Gerrit =?iso-8859-1?Q?K=FChn?= <gerrit@pmp.uni-hannover.de>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Does bg fsck have problems with large filesystems?

Hi all,

I've just installed my first 5.0-rel system and did some
"torture-testing". When resetting the machine to test the backgrounded
fsck I experienced the following problem:
All filesystems came back quickly and bg fsck worked fine, except for
one. I had created a large (>50GB) /export filesystem on with fsck
reproducively hang. I also couldn't reboot the system cleanly anymore,
because of those fsck processes not going away.
Finally, I commented out /export from /etc/fstab and run fsck manually
in fg mode after the rest of the system had been checked cleanly.
There were a few errors, and after that the check finished and marked
the system as clean. However, mounting the clean system took several
seconds and gave me this message from the kernel:
FFS_SNAPSHOT_MOUNT: old format snapshot inode 4
Well, whatever... :)

Nevertheless everything is working fine now, again. I havn't checked
yet, but will this happen every time my systems reboots without
unmounting the filesystems cleanly? Is anything wrong with filesystems
that large, or could I have done anything else that causes this strange
behaviour?

cu
  Gerrit