Date:      Sat, 28 Aug 2010 13:09:12 +0400
From:      Ilya Bakulin <webmaster@kibab.com>
To:        Dag-Erling =?utf-8?Q?Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        geom@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Support for WD Advanced Format disks

--Sig_/qUbCQjWoMz1j6l62yJ8_JcN

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 19:44:48 +0200
Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav <des@des.no> wrote:

> Right now, I have two requests.  The first is that people who have
> Advanced Format disks run a program I wrote that measures the
> performance of aligned and misaligned writes of different sizes.
>=20
> % svn co http://svn.freebsd.org/base/user/des/phybs
> % cd phybs
> % make
> % ./phybs -w /dev/adN
>=20

I've just bought WD15EARS, it is 1.5 TB WD Green drive, according to the la=
bel it uses Advanced Format. I plan to use it as a backup solution with SAT=
A-USB convertor. But first I decided to conduct the test you want. So I've =
installed this drive into my home PC. Connection type is pure SATA, without=
 convertors.

I've created misaligned 10G-partition:

kibab-desktop# gpart create -s GPT ad7
ad7 created
kibab-desktop# gpart add -t freebsd-ufs -s 10G ad7
ad7p1 added
kibab-desktop# gpart show ad7
=3D>        34  2930277101  ad7  GPT  (1.4T)
          34    20971520    1  freebsd-ufs  (10G)
    20971554  2909305581       - free -  (1.4T)

Right now I'm running phybs -w /dev/ad7p1

Please write me what additional tests should I conduct. I may delay feeding=
 this disk with data for a while, if it will be useful to obtain some impor=
tant numbers for you and FreeBSD community.
--=20
Regards,
Ilya Bakulin
http://kibab.com