Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 09:26:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: intrest in MIPS 10,000 CPU? support

Terry Lambert writes:
 > I can get an Alpha for pretty cheap, but I can only stick 2G
 > of RAM in it because of FreeBSD limitations that are Alpha
 > specific.
<...>
 > The only reason I would go for MIPS or Itanium or other 64
 > bit machine would be to break the 4G of physical RAM barrier.

Alpha actually has a rather nice framework for doing scatter/gather
mapping in the pci chipset for DMA for address limited devices.  This
is how ISA dma is done on all alpha platforms (except for UP1x00,
which uses an AMD 751 pee-cee chipset which has no such support and
does bounce buffering)

The limitations are FreeBSD specific, not Alpha specific.  The
limitation is all the various & sundry drivers which do:

	    dma_addr = vtophys(va);

Rather than using busdma.  I think Bill Paul posted a patch for
establishing a busdma framework for network drivers last year.  I
wonder what happened to that..?

Of course, to get  4GB or more in a box, you're talking some
fairly serious hardware (rawhide or ds20/dp264 family).

Drew