Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 10:50:37 -0700
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        Ignacio Cristerna <ignacioc@avantel.net>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Including CDs with various hardware items

Ignacio Cristerna wrote:

> We have been reading about these Linux CDīs and have been seeing a lot of
> emails suggesting that FreeBSD.org (or whatever the Powers that be are
> named)do the same. I think itīs time we, the FreeBSD supporters, do
> something. I think we should contribute the cost of a CD (Whatever WC
> charges for it) so that these CDīs may be included along with servers or
> magazines. I think it would make sense to setup an account (or use WCīs own)
> so that we outside of the US could use a credit card (Itīs pretty cumbersome
> to send a money order from Mexico to the US; those f****ing bureacrats!). We
> are believers; we need to spread the message.

	After opening the box and looking at the CD I think there's more too
this relationship that what's on the surface.  The Turbo Linux CD
included in the Belkin KVM was co-branded with "Belkin" labled clearly
on the front of the CD sleave and the CD itself.  The cost of dupping
CDs in big numbers is probably not the largest problem, it's
developing the relationship in the first place.

	One thing that might help increase the sight of the BSD banner is to
call these companies that are including Linux and explain that you're
happy to see them working together with Open Source OS vendors, but
that you use BSD instead of Linux and would find an included BSD CD
much more useful than a Linux CD.

	Now, where's Belkin's phone number......

--
Joseph Scott
joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu