Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2013 05:19:00 -0400
From:      Justin Edward Muniz <justin.muniz@maine.edu>
To:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
Cc:        soc-status@freebsd.org
Subject:   Progress Report 5

This progress report covers the work to create better GUI package management=
, for the week beginning the 16th of July, and ending the 22nd.

The work period marked the beginning of a change from development being conc=
entrated on bug-removal and the back end, to a focus on new features for the=
 GUI front ends. Since I am familiar with Qt, I spent some time reviewing it=
's documentation; catching up on areas I felt rusty with, and expanding my k=
nowledge a bit further by exploring the networking capabilities.=20

I also discovered a lot about GTK+, which I was not as knowledgable about. B=
efore this project, I had never actually created a GTK+ widget, so things fe=
lt pretty new. I improved my development environment by installing Qt Creato=
r and glade. The GUI design tools both are intuitive to me, though I had alr=
eady logged many hours using Creator. Though vim is great for coding, Creato=
r has a few really cool features that enhance my Qt development productivity=
.

I continued to brainstorm for GUI functionality, adding notes to the TODO fi=
le. While examining the front ends for areas to improve, I noted all of the b=
ugs that I came across. It seems that I discovered all of the obvious bugs i=
n the front ends. I fixed some of the bugs with ease, and with one set of er=
ror messages, a temporary quick fix. Most but not all of the bugs that I fix=
ed had to do with the ports. At the beginning of this project, the front end=
 ports had numerous bugs that prevented them from even being installed. I so=
rted out all of the issues and the front ends were completely installable at=
 this point.

I also worked on the PackageKit port itself, resolving issues with installat=
ion. There was a configuration argument being passed that was no longer vali=
d, which I removed. I modified the configuration option to help the user cho=
ose their back end. I also modified the documentation to be included by defa=
ult, and moved some docbook dependencies to only be included if the document=
ation was selected. I also narrowed in on some ports back end bugs that have=
 prevented it from working at all. As I moved through testing the features I=
 checked them off a list. Some of the bugs were easy to resolve, but some bu=
gs still remain. It was necessary to perform enhancements to the PackageKit p=
ort in the first place, because I had to add moc file regeneration to the Pa=
ckageKit-qt4 installation process in order to fix the broken port.

I brainstormed more forms of assistance the pk-setter script could provide, s=
uch as backing up and restoring configuration files, and setting up the defa=
ult pkgng repository information. I also came up with a better overall desig=
n for the project Wiki page.

Thanks for reading,
Justin Muniz=