Date:      Sun, 04 May 2014 18:08:13 +0200
From:      David Demelier <demelier.david@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   ATI Radeon 4330 with KMS: bad experience

Hello guys,

I did not wanted to switch to KMS and new X.org but it is required to
use KDE 4.12. My card works fine (with accelerated 3d) in UMS mode. So I
gave a try because the Graphics wiki page says good news.

However, for me (on 10.0-RELEASE-p1) it is not good news at all. First,
there is no 3d accelerated, glx info says rendering is software rasterizer.

Second, when I start X, sometimes it works fine, sometimes I get random
color garbage. Switching to TTY and get back to X will cause a hang
occasionally.

I would like to know how can I fully disable KMS since my card does not
require it and go back to standard UMS, because I don't want to go away
from KDE :-).

I've tried setting hw.dri.0.modesetting=0 in the loader.conf but it
seems read-only.

Kind regards (sorry to tell you that it was a bad experience :-()
David.