Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 16:53:57 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Dallas De Atley <deatley@apple.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: __P macro question

M. Warner Losh wrote:
> 2) Compat with *BSD: NetBSD is agressively removing __P.  OpenBSD is
>    in places and not in others.  BSDi doesn't give us code anymore.
>    Diff against Net2 is impossible.  This has ceased to be a
>    compelling argument.

I guess you aren't an embedded systems vendor with a
version of FreeBSD imported into their CVS repository,
who needs to be able to track bug fixes, but not large
architectural changes byt using "diff" instead of
"cvs diff".

> 4) What about my amiga: gcc works on the amgia.  Bootstrap with
>    NetBSD/amiga.

This particular case refers to an Amiga 1000 with a 68010,
which is not capable of running NetBSD.  Yes, I agree that
it is not a compelling argument, it was intended to be a
member of a class of arguments.  So even if it is easy to
invalidate the Amiga argument itself, it says nothing about
the class.

> 2) Compat with *BSD: NetBSD is agressively removing __P.
>    OpenBSD is in places and not in others.  BSDi doesn't
>    give us code anymore. Diff against Net2 is impossible.
>    This has ceased to be a compelling argument.

I wish you would at least gain the consensus of the OpenBSD
and NetBSD projects, as well.

-- Terry