Date:      Sun, 05 Nov 95 12:38:00 PST
From:      Jeremy Noetzelman <jeremyn@mailgate.asymetrix.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Incredibly slow ethernet performance.

I've got a 486/33 running FreeBSD 2.0.5, with a 3Com 3C509 Ethernet card.
I'm connected to a 10MBit ethernet segment.

I'm getting absolutely pitiful network performance. Ping times to my other
desktop machine, a Windows NT box, on the same segment, are averaging about
1000ms. I can ping a SparcStation on a different segment with roughly the
same response times. Ping times from my NT box to the Sparc are under 10ms.

I've recompiled the kernal removing the SLIP/PPP stuff, and the drivers for
devices I don't have, but that failed to improve performance any.

If anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it.

Jeremy Noetzelman
jeremyn@asymetrix.com