Date:      Tue, 7 May 2002 09:34:52 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Troy Barnhart <barney@RapidNet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IBM pSeries servers ...

On Monday,  6 May 2002 at 10:05:15 -0600, Troy Barnhart wrote:
>> Anyone know if FreeBSD will run on one of these:
>>

> http://commerce.www.ibm.com/content/home/shop_ShopIBM/en_US/eServer/pSeries/entry/640B80_7026B80E.html
>>
>> I'm not familiar with what a 375 MHz POWER3-II is ...

PowerPC.  IBM's RISC replacement for the PC.  The same processor
family as in the Mac.

> if anyone can get FreeBSD to run on a pSeries - without a MAJOR hack

It'll be a major hack.

> you will be my personal god...  theoretically - shouldn't you be
> able to run NetBSD on one of these?

Not yet.  There's a project under way.

> are there drivers for SSA drives?

I don't know.

I have a similar machine here (dual processor 44p 270), and one of my
background projects is to get FreeBSD or NetBSD running on it.  From a
FreeBSD perspective, I'd prefer to wait until Benno has his Mac port
up and running :-)

Greg