Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 2010 15:39:40 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net>
To:        David Horn <dhorn2000@gmail.com>
Cc:        "Li, Qing" <qing.li@bluecoat.com>, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Routing problems on VPN servers running FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE

At 03:09 PM 2/12/2010, David Horn wrote:

>If you have not already, make certain you use the appropriate tag of
>"RELENG_8", and not "RELENG_8_0"

Yup, that's what I did. I used /usr/share/examples/stable-supfile
with only one mod: I explicitly inserted the name of the mirror
into the file rather than using the -h command line option. I then
did a "make buildworld", a "make buildkernel", a "make
installkernel", a reboot, and a "make installworld" (followed by
"make delete-old", "make cleandir", and "make clean" for good
housekeeping). Didn't bother with mergemaster, because none of the
config files was going to need changing.

The routing and ARP mods that I brought in with the update didn't
make PPTP work. This likely means that not only PPP-based VPN
protocols but also some PPP dialup connections will not be fully
functional on 8.0-RELEASE or 8-STABLE. I'd be glad to provide
configuration files and firewall rules with which all of this can
be reproduced.

--Brett