Date:      Sat, 23 Jun 2001 17:01:14 -0700
From:      Ken Key <key@network-alchemy.com>
To:        Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Inserting Orinoco Silver wireless card locks machine

If you are running 4.3-RELEASE, I've found I need to:

  1) turn on Plug-and-Play OS in the BIOS

and

  2)  Assign an IRQ to the PCMCIA controller (pcic0) and not use
      polling mode

to prevent the kind of lock-up you described on machines with
the Ricoh controller.  You can do 2) by recompiling a new kernel
and replacing the "irq 0" with a free IRQ or if you boot with the
-c flag into configuration mode (command line, for some reason you
can't set the IRQ in visual mode).  I've only done the compile-new-kernel
method as I'm compiling a new kernel for other reasons ("vn", for one).

If you are running -CURRENT, sorry, I don't know.

Hope this helps,
K^2

> Hi all,
>
> I am having a problem with a Lucent Orinoco silver pcmcia card. I am
> using a Sony Vaio PCG-Z600HEK. Every time I plug this type of card
> (I've tried 2 of them) into my machine, the machine locks solid. I
> have to power off and back on. If I have the card in when I boot up,
> the machine will not boot.
>
> I have seen the same behaviour with a Dell wireless card.
>
> At boot time, the lines I get in my log about pcic devices are as
> follows:
>
> Jun 24 00:31:51 pan /kernel: pcic-pci0: <Ricoh RL5C475 PCI-CardBus Bridge> at device 12.0 on pci0
> Jun 24 00:31:51 pan /kernel: pcic0: <Intel i82365> at port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000 on isa0
> Jun 24 00:31:51 pan /kernel: pcic0: Polling mode
> Jun 24 00:31:51 pan /kernel: pccard0: <PC Card bus -- kludge version> on pcic0
>
> I am not getting any messages when I plug the card in at all, just a
> hard lock.
>
> I had heard that these cards were fairly well supported, so I don't
> know if it is a clash between my card and the laptop, or what. Any
> help resolving this would be much appreciated!

> Thanks,
>
> --
> - Wayne Pascoe
> E-mail: wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk
> Phone : +44 (0) 20 7544 4668
> Mobile: +44 (0) 788 431 1675

Ken Key (key@cips.nokia.com, key@Network-Alchemy.com)
Nokia,  Clustered IP Solutions, Santa Cruz, CA