Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2007 13:44:18 -0700
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Claus Guttesen <kometen@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: zfs on FreeBSD

On Mar 21, 2007, at 1:31 PM, Claus Guttesen wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Probably a bit premature but has anyone used zfs on FreeBSD "without
> problems". The reason I ask is that I have installed Solaris 10 on an
> intel-box, but adding additional programs is *not* as easy as
> 'portinstall postfix' etc. on FreeBSD. So rather than doing sensible
> work I feel like an idiot instead.
>
> I have some 8 TB of storage I'd like to use for that purpose.

If one wanted to help Pawel & FreeBSD get to a stable ZFS
implementation, then spending some time experimenting with it and
reporting bugs or problems you run into on your setup would certainly
be helpful.

However, if one wanted to get a production-ready environment going
today using an 8 TB storage setup, going with Solaris would
undoubtedly be wiser.  If your main concern is obtaining pre-built
Solaris 10/Intel packages, there are a few hundred available at
http://sunfreeware.com/...I didn't see postfix there, but there's
most of the GNU toolchain and a number of common libraries (OpenSSL,
libGMP, etc) which will at least help.

--
-Chuck