Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 2002 02:55:34 -0400
From:      The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.dyndns.org>
To:        libh@freebsd.org
Subject:   hfstab and extending getfsent(3)

--VUDLurXRWRKrGuMn

Hi.

I just committed a very simple piece of code demonstrating a bit where
I want to go to with the installer.

Some basic functionalities are missing, and one of those is a mount(2)
interface. I intend to provide that functionality with a class
representing a /etc/fstab file. The class will be able to read and
write to this file, mount(2) and possibly newfs(8) the filesystems
listed in there.

There are probably major design errors in there, and I think the code
is not that good right now, but it works, and that's all that counts
right now. I needed a prototype to see where I was going and to show
it around.

It would be interesting to extend getfsent(3) into functions that
would write to fstab too. I don't know if it would be appropriate to
write those functions in C and backport them to the base, but I think
it's worth a shot. sysinstallNG needs to write to /etc/fstab at any rate.

Comments?

A.

--=20
=46rom the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of
Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!

--VUDLurXRWRKrGuMn

--VUDLurXRWRKrGuMn--