Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 1999 10:33:51 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>, Scott Kenney <saken+freebsd-stable@hotel.rmta.org>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world failing because of missing unroff

At 9:50 AM +0200 1999/10/14, Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:

> I doubt it.  Ports are there to provide us with programs.  Doc is
> there to provide us with documents.  Messing with these roles is
> likely to be painful and confusing.

	But since the documents need certain programs if you're going to
be making any modifications to them, it seems to me that we should
incorporate into the docs tree the same sort of dependancy checking
and resolution that we have in the ports system.

	Obviously you don't need these tools if you're just reading the
files, but if you want to make any modifications, there's no sense in
asking the person making the modifications to have to manually track
down all the dependancies on all the various programs in the ports
system, if we've already got a mechanism that is known to be able
handle that sort of thing for them automatically.

|o| Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>            Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|
|o| Systems Architect, News & FTP Admin      Rue Col. Bourg, 124   |o|
|o| Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.11.11/12.49         B-1140 Brussels       |o|
|o| http://www.skynet.be                     Belgium               |o|
  Unix is like a wigwam -- no Gates, no Windows, and an Apache inside.
   Unix is very user-friendly.  It's just picky who its friends are.