Date:      Wed, 14 May 1997 17:16:32 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.DIALix.COM>
To:        Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alpha questions..

Curt Sampson wrote:

> > > FWIW, they're using a hacked-up version of my ElfKit dynamic linker.
> >
> > I saw this..  Have you had a look at what they've done?  Is it enough to
> > call "complete"?
>
> What do you mean by `complete'? Both the alpha and the pmax ports
> are completely ELF-based, and I use the former as my main server
> at home. PowerPC also uses ELF, and there's been a bit of work on
> an m68k version, I understand.
>
> What does FreeBSD need here that NetBSD doesn't?

Relax, it was just a question...  I just wanted to know if it was complete
(ie: fully functional with no missing parts, eg, 'ar' support).  Does it
use elf-style shared libray versioning (ie: symlinks and internal names)
or does it use a runtime ld.so.cache major.minor[.micro] a.out style
system?  The rtld that John released with ElfKit only supported the
elf-style DT_SONAME shared library system.

I realise this is a touchy subject with the person from the
"other BSD" camp doing what was done with Chris's elf work at cygnus.

Cheers,
-Peter