Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 10:05:17 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>, dillon@freebsd.org
Cc:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>, arch@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS-UP: await/asleep removal imminent

* Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net> [010117 09:24] wrote:

> I'm not going to axe it for a few days, this is a really amazing
> API that Matt added, the problem is utility and useage over code
> complexity.
>
> It's just a proposal.

I found several places where it may be useful, but I'm not sure if the
benefits outweigh the gains.

In a copy of the tree I've locked down the socket layer (not the entire
stack, just sockets :) ) there's code like this:

            SOCKBUF_UNLOCK(&so->so_snd, 0);
            if (top == 0) {
                MGETHDR(m, M_TRYWAIT, MT_DATA);
                if (m == NULL) {
                    error = ENOBUFS;
                    SOCKBUF_LOCK(&so->so_snd, 0);
                    goto release;
                }
                mlen = MHLEN;
            SOCKBUF_LOCK(&so->so_snd, 0);       /* XXX */

The lock must be unwound becasue we're calling MGETHDR with M_TRYWAIT.
If wae used M_TRY'A'WAIT the code would probably look something like
this:

            /* SOCKBUF_UNLOCK(&so->so_snd, 0); */
again:
            if (top == 0) {
                MGETHDR(m, M_TRYWAIT, MT_DATA);
                if (m == NULL) {
                    error = mawait(&so->so_snd.sb_mtx, -1, -1);
                    if (error) {
                      if (error == EWOULDBLOCK)
                         error = ENOBUFS;
                      goto release;
                    }
                    goto again;
                    /* SOCKBUF_LOCK(&so->so_snd, 0); */
                }
                mlen = MHLEN;
            /* SOCKBUF_LOCK(&so->so_snd, 0); */      /* XXX */

Which means we don't have to drop the lock over the socket unless
we'd block on allocation.

Matt, is this what you intended for it to do?  So far I've only
seen it used to avoid races, but not to optimize out mutex
aquire/release.