Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 1998 09:14:05 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Extended / Replaced Utilities

I'm a UNIX user and system administrator for a couple of years now. Some
years ago I tried Linux and FreeBSD and decided for the latter one. One
reason was that FreeBSD behaves much more than a traditional UNIX system
than Linux. I don't need a colorized ls command, I don't need a corrupted
terminal after a remote login from a DEC or SUN workstation to a Linux box
(ok - recent versions behave less worse) and so on.

Now I observe that for example 2.2.6-RELEASE comes with a drastically (to
my mind) changed ftp client. I read in the release notes the 2.2.7-RELEASE
has an ls command with many new options. Excuse me - but now I seem to be
irritated. Where does FreeBSD go? Will it leave the traditional BSD line
which seems to be strong argument for using FreeBSD?

I'm interested in other people's opinion here. May be advocacy is not the
best newsgroup to discuss it but there seems to be some relationship.

Konrad Heuer

// Gesellschaft fuer wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung mbH
// Goettingen (GWDG), Am Fassberg, D-37077 Goettingen, Germany
//
// kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de