Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 2004 10:15:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      John DeStefano <deesto@yahoo.com>
To:        Peter Risdon <peter@circlesquared.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vhosts

--- Peter Risdon <peter@circlesquared.com> wrote:
Hi Peter,

> John DeStefano wrote:
>
> >My dear, fellow BSD enthusiasts,
> >I realize this is not an isolated BSD question, but I know many of
> you
> >use apache, and I wonder if this is a problem you might quickly
> >recognize, or if another configuration file might be worth looking
> at.
> >
> >I'm trying to host two domains on one box with one IP (both LAN and
> >WAN).  When a user tries to visit any of the server aliases for the
> >second Vhost, they are always brought to the first host instead.
> >Note: I'm forwarding WAN port 10101 to LAN port 80, but I don't
> think
> >that has an effect here.
> >
> >The relevent section of my httpd.conf file:
> >
> >#NameVirtualHost *:80
> >

> Uncomment this.

Thanks... but if you look below, it's already un-commented...

> PWR.
>
> >#
> ># VirtualHost example:
> ># Almost any Apache directive may go into a VirtualHost container.
> ># The first VirtualHost section is used for requests without a known
> ># server name.
> >#
> >#<VirtualHost *:80>
> >#    ServerAdmin webmaster@dummy-host.example.com
> >#    DocumentRoot /www/docs/dummy-host.example.com
> >#    ServerName dummy-host.example.com
> >#    ErrorLog /var/log/dummy-host.example.com-error_log
> >#    CustomLog /var/log/dummy-host.example.com-access_log common
> >#</VirtualHost>
> >NameVirtualHost *:80

^^^ here!

> ><VirtualHost *:80>
> >ServerName www.thedestefanos.com
> >ServerAlias thedestefanos.com *.thedestefanos.com
> >DocumentRoot /usr/www
> ></VirtualHost>
> >
> ><VirtualHost *:80>
> >ServerName www.thechocolateshack.com
> >ServerAlias thechocolateshack.com *.thechocolateshack.com
> >chocolateshack.com *.chocolateshack.com
> >DocumentRoot /usr/www/thechocolateshack
> ></VirtualHost>

BTW, here's some more info that may throw a light switch in a brain
somewhere:

# apachectl -S
VirtualHost configuration:
wildcard NameVirtualHosts and _default_ servers:
*:80                   is a NameVirtualHost
         default server www.thedestefanos.com
(/usr/local/etc/apache2/httpd.conf:1100)
         port 80 namevhost www.thedestefanos.com
(/usr/local/etc/apache2/httpd.conf:1100)
         port 80 namevhost www.thechocolateshack.com
(/usr/local/etc/apache2/httpd.conf:1106)
Syntax OK

# tail /var/log/httpd-error.log
[Fri Mar 12 10:29:23 2004] [error] [client 195.146.247.190] File does
not exist: /usr/www/uri-res

(what would refer to "uri-res"??)