Date:      Sun, 07 Feb 1999 22:53:37 -0500
From:      Xiaowei Yang <yxw@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ifconfig kills my machine

Hello,

I am really sorry to bother here. Being so frustrated and having been
searched all possible literatures, I have to turn to this list at my
last try.

I have two network interfaces fxp0 and de0 on my machine. I used to use
2.2.6. Both cards worked fine. I cvsuped RELENG_3 and complied it
sucessfully. However, after I configured rc.conf, compiled the kernel,
reboot the machine, it died at the point:

Doing networking initial work:hostname.

After it happend several times, I commented out the ifconfig command in
rc.network. The machine could boot then. I even had X-windows running. I
tried to manually configure my network cards by typing:

ifconfig lo0 inet *
ifconfig de0 inet * netmask *
ifconfig fxp0 inet * netmask *

However, "ifconfig fxp0" killed the machine. I lost keyboard. I tried to
uncomment the lines in rc.network and left only
network_interfaces="lo0". Still , rebooting died at the ifconfig point.

I donot know what caused the problem. I used
/usr/obj/elf/usr/src/usr.sbin/config/config configured the kernel. Does
it matter?

I am will very grateful if somebody could give me a hint.

--Xiaowei