Date:      Sat, 12 Aug 2000 11:25:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Cc:        steve@inc.net
Subject:   Re: Data Switch kills Mouse(PS/2)

In article <3994CF7F.4E0DBAB7@inc.net>,
Steve Kaczkowski  <steve@inc.net> wrote:
> Bigwillie wrote:
> >
> > What could be done.  I also have a rotary box, and sometimes the keyboard
> > and mouse go out on me.  Im just looking for a cheap alternative, who makes
> > a cheap "real" kvm switch????
>
> Take a look at Belkin stuff, fairly priced and works well..

Really?  Yours works well?  I have a Belkin OmniView Pro 8-port and
it is a piece of junk.  It gets terribly confused from time to time,
mostly depending on which machine has been rebooted most recently.
Booting the Alpha (into either FreeBSD or Tru64 Unix) especially
confuses it.  I have given up entirely on using it for the mouse
and only use it with the keyboard now.  Still it gets itself into a
horrible mess on a regular basis.  Following Belkin's recommended
procedure of resetting it by pressing both buttons simultaneously has
never worked for me even once.  In fact it invariably makes things
worse.  There have been times when I've had to shut down all 7 systems
attached to it and bring them all back up from scratch.  Usually,
though, just rebooting the NT box on it is enough to get it working
again.  That tells me everything I need to know about Belkin's test
environment.  I think the firmware in the box must have been written
by the company plumber, or maybe the carpenter.  They should have
stuck with rotary switches at that company.

John