Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 14:36:18 +0100
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Rq for approval: new command: genassym]

Peter Wemm wrote:

> My concern is chicken/egg problems.. eg: how do you build a 4.0 kernel on a
> 3.x system in order to complete the 'installworld' which requires a kernel
> to be already built?  It's no big deal but it's one more "special" thing.
> config(8) and company are in the same boat, I'd rather we did less of this
> than more.

There's no chicken and egg problem. genassym builds independently of a
kernel and is done so by the cross-tools target. Any kernel built as
part of an upgrade process uses the freshly built genassym.

The installworld problem is solved by not using any binaries that can be
overwritten by the install process. I already have this locally. An
installworld will not depend on a new kernel itself. An upgrade process
can therefore build and install world *and* a kernel and only needs a
working reboot to finish it off. Optionally it could install new
bootblocks as well.

--
Marcel Moolenaar                        mailto:marcel@scc.nl
SCC Internetworking & Databases           http://www.scc.nl/