Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 2000 22:56:19 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Hans Huebner <hans@Huebner.ORG>
To:        Chris Csanady <cc@ameslab.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCI Wavelan adapter timeouts

Hi,

I'm using Orinoco WaveLAN cards with FreeBSD successfully.  Here is the
relevant dmesg output of my router at home (a P200 on an Asus PCI board):

pcic0: <Vadem 469> at port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000 irq 10 on isa0
pcic0: management irq 10
pccard0: <PC Card bus -- kludge version> on pcic0
pccard1: <PC Card bus -- kludge version> on pcic0

This is a ISA-PCMCIA bridge manufactured by SCM, sold by Lucent.  Lucent
also sells a PCI-CARDBUS bridge, but without BIOS support it is not
recognized by FreeBSD.  It is said that the PCI-CARDBUS bridge works
in Tyan motherboards, but these are not exactly cheap.

wi0: <WaveLAN/IEEE 802.11> at port 0x240-0x27f irq 5 slot 0 on pccard0
wi0: Ethernet address: 00:60:1d:f6:59:4f
wi0: starting DAD for fe80:000b::0260:1dff:fef6:594f
wi0: DAD complete for fe80:000b::0260:1dff:fef6:594f - no duplicates found

This is an Orinoco WaveLAN card in the Vadem bridge.

I'd try another IRQ for the card, just to be safe.

BTW:  I have tried to use two Orinocos in one system, but seemingly pccardd
is not able to handle two cards of the same make if these cards have only
one configuration entry.  Fixing this would require a few pretty drastic
changes in pccardd.  Will pccardd die when newbus gets into the mainstream
some time, making the configuration of pccards a kernel-only thing?  Or will
FreeBSD continue to use pccardd, so that such a change would make sense in
the long run?

-Hans

--
                                       finger hans@huebner.org for details