Date:      Sun, 04 Aug 2002 21:04:35 -0400
From:      bvagnoni@comcast.net
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Trying To Get My Server To Connect To The Net

Dear All;

I'm trying to get the server to connect to the internet. There error message
I get when I try and ping my gateway is "ping: send to: host is
down"

In my host file I have the following:

host file

127.0.0.1 localhost.mydomain localhost
ipaddresofserver	mydomain.myhost myhost
ipaddresofserver	mydomain.myhost

host.conf file

hosts
bind

networks file

your-net 127.
your-network 255.255.255
subnet1 127.0.1 alais1
subnet2 127.0.2 alais2

rc.conf file

#I have 2 Ethernet interfaces though I'm not using this machine as a gateway
#The fxp0 is an Intel 82559 built in Ethernet controller
#The sf0 is an Adaptec 64 bit 66mhz Ethernet controller in a 64 bit 66mhz
slot

defaultrouter="mygatewayip"
ifconfig_fxp0="inet myipaddress netmask 255.255.255.248"
ifconfig_sf0="inet myipaddress netmask 255.255.255.248"
inetd_enable="YES"
kern_securelevel_enable="NO"
linux_enable="YES"
moused_enable="YES"
nfs_reserverd_port_only="YES"
portmap_enable="YES"
router_enable="YEs"
sendmail_enable="YES"
sshd_enable="YES"

resolve.conf

domain mydomain
nameserver	207.155.183.72
nameserver 	206.173.119.72
nameserver	207.228.252.180

I think that's everything that someone will need to help me fix my problem.
Both interfaces are up, and I'm able to ping the ipaddresofserver.

Also, the log keeps displaying itself at the console prompt, how do I turn
that off, it's very annoying.  In other words system messages keep coming
up,
making it very difficult to keep track of what you are typing at the system
prompt.

Sincerely

Brian

PS Thanks In advance