Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 2003 09:15:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      doug@allensystemconsultants.com
To:        thomas@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: password file recovery question

Thomas,

> What do you mean by 'scrambled'? Did you run 'pwd_mkdb -p
> /etc/master.passwd' after copying the file?

By scrambled, I mean that none of the passwords in the old file seemed
to work, excpet the few mention in the original note.

I think I ran pwd_mkdb -p /etc/master.passwd after the copy, but I'm
not absolutely certain.  If I forgot, that would probably explain the
problem.  If I forgot, I think I need to go sit in the corner <sigh>.

Thanks for the quick response.  If I ran it know will it mess up any
of the passwords that I've already changed, thanks to early arriving
users?  I don't want to mess up their passwords again.

Doug

Doug Allen
Allen System Consultants