Date:      Wed, 18 Dec 1996 23:49:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      chad@dcfinc.com
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   kern/2248: Mitsumi CD-ROM driver has "timeout" problems

>Number:         2248
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       Mitsumi CD-ROM driver has "timeout" problems
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        2.1.6R
>Environment:
FreeBSD freebie.dcfinc.com 2.1.6-RELEASE FreeBSD 2.1.6-RELEASE #0: Tue Dec 17 23
:24:04 MST 1996     toor@freebie.dcfinc.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/FREEBIE  i386

This machine is a 133MHz AMD 5x86 (identifies itself as a 486 during
the probe).  The Mitsumi CD-ROM drive is an early one--single speed
with the lid that opens.  It identifies itself as an "M 2" during the
probe.

During all phases of operation the kernel logs messages such as:
  timeout getting status
  retrying
  timeout reading data
  retrying

If I try to use the CD-ROM to do an install, I get an effective rate of
about 10 kbytes per second.  It was faster to go over the net to your
FTP site.

Methinks the ThumbTwiddle routines in "mcd.c" probably have counter
values too small for a machine with this clock rate.
>How-To-Repeat:
Any use of the Mitsumi drive generates errors.  They all eventually
recover, but fill log space and make the drive =very= slow.
>Fix:
Unknown.  I'm going to edit "/sys/i386/isa/mcd.c" to increase some of
the spin timers counter values.  I'll let you know what happens.