Date:      Fri, 1 Oct 2004 09:11:41 -0400
From:      "Roth, Ian" <rothi97@arcadia.edu>
To:        <current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Problem with 5.3 beta 6 release

Hi,

 I attempted to install the latest beta release of FreeBSD 5.3 on a RAID =
of two drives which mirrored each other.  The drives
are connected to a Soyo SY-P4X400 Dragon Ultra Platinum Edition which =
has an integrated Highpoint-tech hpt372 RAID
IDE controller.  I used the ftp installation method using the three =
floppy disk images found on the FreeBSD ftp server.
Installation proceded as it had in previous versions that I have used =
(5.2 and 5.2.1).  During the disk selection screen, I
choose the raid array rather than one of the individual disks that make =
up the array as in previous installations.  Everything
installed correctly and I rebooted.  It was at that time that the RAID =
controller reported that the array named FreeBSD had
become corrupted due to a missing disk, however both disks were present =
and working.  What was even more shocking
was that the mirroring array between the two disks had before the =
installation been named MaxtorHD rather than FreeBSD.=20
I am not sure how this happened, but I am also now having trouble =
reestablishing a mirroring array between the two disks.
I am not sure how many people use this hardware, but I for one am having =
trouble with it and the latest beta of FreeBSD.

rothi97@arcadia.edu