Date:      Sat, 9 Feb 2002 21:50:31 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1013745032.c1894d@mired.org>
To:        stan <stanb@awod.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel panic!

stan <stanb@awod.com> types:
> On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 03:36:24PM +1300, Jonathan Chen wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 07:30:06PM -0500, stan wrote:
> > >
> > > With nothing but the basic filesystems (/ /usr /var) mounted, if I run
> > > "perodic daily" my machine crahse, reliably! It's a jernel trap 12, if
> > > I caught the message that flashed by on the screen corectly.
> > >
> > > How can I trap exactly wat's crashing this machine?
> >
> > Why don't you run a kernel build, if that crashes your machine as
> > well, I'd suspect h/w problems; probably memory.
>
> Make buildworld, and buildkernel run without triggering this panic.
>
> How can I further diagnose this problem?

First, rebuild and reinstall your kernel with the config method, using
"config -g MYKERNEL" in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf - assuming it's a 386
architecture machine - and install the resulting kernel.

Now make sure you have a swap device that's has at least 64K more
space than you have memory, then set set dumpdev to that device in
/etc/rc.conf. If you don't have enough room to hold a core image and
kernel code on /var/crash, you might want to set dumpdir as well.

Now panic the system. As it comes back up, you should get a message
about "saving core image" and it will count down to 0. If you then
follow the instructions in the Handbook on debugging kernel problems,
you should be able to pinpoint the exact line in the kernel that's
causing the problem, along with a stack trace of how it got there.

	<mike