Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:35:42 -0600
From:      Ryan Sommers <ryans@gamersimpact.com>
To:        Kevin Lyons <klyons@corserv.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re; tcsh is not csh

Kevin Lyons wrote:

> >Dan Nelson wrote:
> >
> > but you're 4 years too late to affect
> >the outcome...
>
> I think the problem can still be fixed.  Simply put in /bin/tcsh and
> let /bin/csh be what it actually is, which is to say /bin/csh.  I
> realize that will add all of 300kB to the system. Oh and there would
> also have to be an entry for tcsh in /etc/shells.  Should I send a patch?

(root@blue)~:cvs co -d etc src/etc
(root@blue)~:cd etc
(root@blue)~/etc:grep tcsh shells
/bin/tcsh
(root@blue)~/etc:

How many programs does this incompatability actually break?
Realistically? If it hasn't been a problem in the last 4 years it makes
me wonder if anyone is actually writing or using shell scripts written
for this.

I'm not opposed to adding a real csh to /bin, but if we're only adding
it to work around a minor incompatability that few if any programs rely
on I don't see it as being a necessity.

--
Ryan Sommers
ryans@gamersimpact.com