Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 2010 10:19:46 +0200
From:      Eitan Adler <eitanadlerlist@gmail.com>
To:        Jamie <jamie@geniegate.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Popularity

 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Usually, they say "linux is good for servers, windows is go=
od for
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0desktop" we need this changed to "linux is good for deskto=
p, freebsd
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0is good for servers".
freeBSD runs very well on my desktop ;)

> o gtar/tar/star/btar/blah
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0In BSD (DragonflyBSD,FreeBSD,OpenBSD) there is a real atti=
tude
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0problem, the idea seems to be "GNU sucks and you should us=
e BSD
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0alternatives". I like the GNU, I don't like having to have=
 18
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0versions of "make" around (gmake, make, bmake, smake...) o=
r 20
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0variants of "tar". Most people don't know or care about su=
ch things.

I agree. I find it annoying when a program depends on gtar or gmake.
Why can't people just use portable options?

> I like both platforms.

Agreeds

> Tell people how great freebsd is, not how crappy linux is. Remind them
> that we're all "unix-like", so you're not loosing anything by selecting
> freebsd for server stuff, you can still use linux as a workstation.

And you could still use freeBSD a desktop or Linux as a server.