Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 17:45:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Dan Ts'o" <dan@dna.tsolab.org>
To:        kiril@idea.co.uk (Kiril Mitev)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Confusion

> On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Dan Ts'o furiously typed away:
> >
> > 	I think it was always abundantly clear that the 3.0 release was never
> > considered truly suitable for production deployment
>
> I beg to disagree.
>
> IIRC, the hype (sorry, true) was that 4.0 is the current branch &
> 3.* is the stable branch....

	Well I guess we disagree. The topic is the release 3.0, NOT 3.*.
Here is the an excerpt from the 3.0 annoucement:

: After what can only be described as a heroic effort by the FreeBSD
: Project volunteers, the long-awaited release of FreeBSD 3.0 is now
: out!  This release is primarily aimed at developers and early-adopters,
: though many ISPs have reported good results when using it in production
: (not that we recommend this to any but the most highly skilled).

	Hence my statement that it was *abundantly clear* that the 3.0
release was never intended for general production work.

	There were so, so many changes and new facilities in 3.0 that I can't
imagine anyone considering it as full shaken down and ready for production
work from the get go.