Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 14:42:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      mi@aldan.algebra.com
To:        obrien@freebsd.org
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@pike.osd.bsdi.com>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommended compilation optimizations

On 24 Jul, David O'Brien wrote:
= On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 01:29:11PM -0400, mi@aldan.algebra.com wrote:
= > Instead of  encouraging bug-reports, the  attitude has so  far been:
= > "well, if you use high optimization -- you are on your own",
=
= But reports  are of course welcomed.  The attituded is for  those that
= want working binaries vs. setting up an environment to test bugs.

Please, allow me  to one more time restate my  point before the audience
gets  bored.  I  think,  the  developers  should  be  using  the  higher
optimization  (as well  as  other not-so-well-tested  features of  other
parts of FreeBSD) themselves. That way, when  they hit a bug, it is much
more likely that a sensible and  helpful bug report will be constructed.
Much like mayors need to use their cities' public transportation...

As  the   bug  report  I   mentioned  earlier  illustrates,   there  are
FreeBSD-specific problems  with the optimization.  The reason it  is not
fixed  yet  is  because  of  the  attitude  I  cited.  Just  imagine  vi
not  working and  recommendations  to use  ee instead  --  as a  working
environment, of course, rather than that set up "to test bugs"...

	-mi