Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2014 19:07:26 -0400
From:      "illoai@gmail.com" <illoai@gmail.com>
To:        Steven Friedrich <steven.e.friedrich@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD 10.0 to GPT volume

On 25 March 2014 18:50, Steven Friedrich <steven.e.friedrich@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have tried everything that I can gleen from the gpart, gptboot, boot0cfg
> man pages as well as the handbook.
>

> I have noticed several bugs in the new install, which I find odd, since it's
> been around since ver 5 or so.
>

> Does bsdinstall write boot code to gpt partitions?
>

> I have tried to install several times, even using gpart to write boot code
> to the GPT partition as well as a freebsd-boot partition.  I've installed a
> protective mbr.  Nothing appears to work.
>

> The drive is a 3TB Toshiba USB 3.0 external drive.  The computer is a
> Samsung series 7 CHRONOS with Pheonix BIOS with UEFI support.  I have tried
> UEFI enabled and disabled.
>

> The laptop is an Intel CORE i7.  This should run amd64, not ia64, right?
>

> Under what circumstances would you use bios-boot or efi partitions?  Neither
> were shown as examples on gpart man page.

If nothing gpart(8) works, I would use bios partitions, followed by
joining a convent, followed by eating a live toad, followed by
installing to an EFI $THINGY. (Yes, I have installed to an EFI scheme
on an old macbook, & I will be happy to not do that again, soon)

Also, if you have any experience at all with using a unix-like
command line, I would advise skipping the special installers
& using something akin to:
https://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?&t=10334
(caveat: I don't use zfs, so I don't care about that part,
further that under 10.0 on the DVD the base install
packages live in a different place, specifically under
$DVD_ROOT/usr/freebsd-dist/ (& no, it doesn't make
sense to me either, but there it is))
wblock's gpart instructions are clear, succinct, & do work:
http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/disksetup.html