Date:      Sun, 11 Mar 2001 22:15:43 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Alexey Koptsevich" <kopts@astro.ioffe.rssi.ru>, "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: bad144

Hi Alexey

  If you ever see a bad block from a modern IDE or SCSI disk
that is permanent  (ie: rebooting doesen't clear it) then
there's something wrong with the drive electronics.  Modern
disks automagically and silently remap bad sectors on the fly.

 bad144 doesen't work with LBA disks, just CHS, and the only
thing that uses the bad block table that bad144 wrote out is
the old wd driver which has been replaced by the atapi driver.

  If your paranoid then if your attempting to verify a SCSI
disk, you can use scsicontrol (camcontrol) to issue a
SCSI format command to the disk.  If your paranoid and running
IDE (which if your that concerned with data integrity you
wouldn't be running IDE) and you want to verify it, then
boot the system with a bootable DOS floppy and run the appropriate
"low-level" formatting and verification tool from the
drive's manufacturer.