Date:      Fri, 07 Nov 1997 14:27:42 -0500
From:      "Gary T. Corcoran" <garycorc@idt.net>
To:        Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh <itojun@itojun.org>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, "Brian N. Handy" <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disk drives

Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh wrote:

> >> Question for the class...is it possible to plug two disk drives into your
> >> typical laptop at the same time?  (In particular the TP560.)  I need to
> >> build another drive for a guy, but I'd like to just plug it into the
> >> innards of my thinkpad, copy the salient bits over and then swap it into
> >> his machine.  It wouldn't even have to *fit* inside the case for this.
> >> Seems like a stretch, but sure would be nice...
> >If you get it working, let me know.  We couldn't find a way to do it
> >earlier this week, and did it from scratch (using Windows in our case,
> >but we couldn't even get two 'drives' hooked up at the same time.  I
> >suspect with dump/restore it would have worked, but I still would have
> >had to go 'install' the stuff and partition the disk before-hand.
>
>         it is quite simple.
>         buy this kind of product (pcmcia-to-ide harddisk interface),
>         and perform a filesystem dump from wd0 to wd2.
> http://www.sparco.com/cgi-bin/product_lookup/catalog_.search?spn=A764324&show_discounts=0
>         i believe there are several products available for this, but
>         i can't remember who manufactures this.

I just found something in a Computer Discount Warehouse (CDW) catalog.
I don't think it's what I was referring to in my previous post, but
it's even better becaue it's not bundled with a drive.  It is a product
as described above, called "Easy Move Data Transfer kit", made by CMS
Peripherals, $99.96, CDW #95772

Gary